There have been some very interesting developments in the David Petraeus affair and resignation as director of the C.I.A., which may have some political implications. I have thus far held back too much interest in the case, as just another unfortunate sex scandal involving one of our leaders. However, today it is being reported that the FBI was notified and began investigating the Petraeus situation in the middle of the summer. Therefore, this creates a lot of interesting questions that can hopefully be answered in the days and weeks to come.
One of the important pieces to this puzzle is how this is, if at all, related to the Libya scandal that was largely shoved under the rug due to its political implications. One must remember that Petraeus was involved in pushing the idea that what took place on September 11 was just a spontaneous demonstration that had terrible consequences, denying that there was any organized terrorist attack. Now we know that the C.I.A. also seemed to have information regarding security failures and terrorist involvement. Just two days after the attack on our Benghazi consulate, representatives of the FBI and NCTC gave Capitol Hill briefings in which they said the evidence supported an al-Qaida or al-Qaida-affiliated attack.
Yet, up to this point democrats have been adamantly opposed to any further investigation of a possible cover-up in the Benghazi attack as political games. Now democrats have changed their minds with these latest developments coming to light. Remember, Petraeus was due to testify about the Benghazi attack this week, right before he admitted to an extramarital affair and resigned his post. Both parties are rightfully angry about not being notified that the FBI was investigating the C.I.A. director as they were obligated by law to know the moment this was revealed in the middle of the summer. So now it appears that both the House and Senate intelligence committees are wanting to know answers about not only the affair with the possibility of security breaches that may have occurred, but has now pledged to investigate if there was any connection to his false assertions following the attack.
- We now know that Eric Holder was informed by email of this Petraeus investigation months ago, but thus far has been refusing to comment as to if he read the emails and informed the Obama administration of it. Why the sudden silence from Eric Holder?
- Was this affair being kept silent, contrary to law, because of the upcoming election?
- Is it just a coincidence that all of this came to light a couple days after the election?
- Did David Petraeus resign a couple days before the Congressional hearings to avoid testifying about the Benghazi attack? He knew that his affair had been uncovered by the FBI weeks ago.
- Was there a cover-up of the Petraeus investigation to cover-up the Benghazi investigation? If so then we have an investigation that will go down in our history books and could have the FBI, C.I.A., justice department, and the Obama administration all fidgeting at the same time.
- John Edgar Hoover the first director of the FBI and served in that capacity for 48 years was proven to have used sex scandals as black mail and leverage for the government on numerous occasions. Could we have another case of the government black mailing in order to keep information from coming out?